Position Title: Director of Communications and Community Relations
Filing Deadline: July 6, 2017 (paper screening of applicants to begin June 28, 2017)
Classification: Supervisor, full-time
Location: Salem-Keizer Public Schools District Office
Start Date: As soon as selected candidate is able to start
Hours/Days: 8 hours per day/260 day contract
Salary Level: Grade 9 ($91,017 – $115,167 based on the 2016-17 salary schedule)
The Salem-Keizer School District, the second largest district in the state of Oregon serving 42,000 students and over 4,500 staff, is seeking a communications expert with a broad range of skills to manage the district’s strategic communications. The Director of Communications and Community Relations provides leadership and direction for internal and external communication programs and stakeholder engagement. This position reports directly to the superintendent and is a member of the superintendent’s cabinet.
Primary Function: Plans, directs and supervises internal communications, district-to-patron communications, media relations and coordination, special information campaigns and district wide business partnerships.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, public relations, marketing or closely related field. Minimum of three years of recent professional leadership experience in communications and/or public relations.
• A working knowledge of internal and external communications and public relations programs.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and relate to diverse audiences.
• Demonstrated skill in effective verbal, written and digital communication.
• Strong analytical skills in conducting public relations research and information campaign planning.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with district administrators, staff, various private and public agencies, media, community and other interested groups.
• Ability to perform well under pressure.
• Ability to manage multiple and diverse projects at the same time.
• Ability to develop and administer department goals, objectives and procedures.
• Knowledge of the principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
• Ability to prepare and manage department budget and resources.
• Ability to train and coach other district administrators in public relations.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Plans, implements and evaluates district’s communication and engagement programs with internal and external audiences.
• Develops and produces professional communications to keep staff, parents, media and general public informed, including publications, webpages, digital media, press releases and social media.
• Develops communication plans, including crisis and emergency communications plan, detailing how to reach internal and external publics.
• Participates in developing programs to engage the community in the district’s decision-making process and efforts to increase student achievement.
• Provides support and adviser on the district’s communication strategies and messaging.
• Serves as district information resource, maintains extensive background files; keeps district historical and election passage records.
• Maintains an on-going and positive relationship with businesses, governmental agencies and the general community.
• Serves as the media liaison with the school district.
• Serves as the district’s liaison to the Salem-Keizer Education Foundation.
• Writes news releases, provides information for local media; works to get media coverage of school district news.
• Creates, writes and produces district marketing materials.
• Develops and provides training and professional development for district staff to support effective communication.
• Conducts stakeholder opinion research through surveys, polls and informal research to determine opinion and attitudes as a basis for planning and action, including annual staff, student and parent surveys.
• Analyzes public or community input and recommends strategies to meet needs, concerns, and issues.
• Supervises and maintains district’s website content, appearance, access and training.
• Coordinates district role in bond elections.
• Supervises and evaluates district communication staff.
• Develops and administers the department’s annual operating budget.
• Carries out responsibilities effectively under pressure of deadlines, interruptions and developing or emergency situations.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Superintendent: Reports to this position.
• Supervisor of communications staff.
• Chambers of Commerce, community agencies and community groups: Acts as liaison with all groups interfacing with the district.
• Submit a letter of interest and a resume, including a minimum of three professional references to:
o John Beight, Executive Director, Human Resources
Salem-Keizer Public Schools
2450 Lancaster Dr NE
PO Box 12024
Salem, OR 97309
o Letter of interest and resume, including a minimum of three professional references, may also be submitted electronically to John Beight at: firstname.lastname@example.org
o Candidates invited for an interview need to be prepared to submit (prior to the interview) a portfolio of three projects, campaigns or public relations accomplishments, with one being a strategy that did not work well. Portfolio should clearly demonstrate the success/opportunity for growth of the projects. Submission of portfolio can be electronic or hardcopy, with the format being the one that is most conducive to describing the work. Hardcopy portfolios need to be submitted to the address above; electronic portfolios need to be submitted to email@example.com.