Linfield College’s Department of Institutional Advancement is recruiting for a Director of Communications. The Director of Communications is responsible for maintaining, building and strengthening the college’s profile and extending its reputation among external audiences, locally, regionally, and nationally. The Director works with all college departments to achieve consistency in graphics and messaging for internal and external constituents. The Director is a member of the college’s crisis team and coordinates information and communication during emergency and crisis events. Review of applications will begin immediately and close on May 31, 2016.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Ability to work a non-traditional work schedule that includes evening and weekend events.
- Serve as the lead communications administrator for crisis communications, media relations, and institutional communications.
- Serve as an articulate and effective spokesperson for the college.
- Develop and update media resources such as press kits, fact sheets, databases and lists of college experts.
- Oversee and participate in developing themes and design concepts and production of publications including but not limited to: Linfield Magazine, Linfieldpdx, President’s Report and social media strategy.
- Develop and execute an institutional communications plan designed to build the awareness and reputation of the college among target audiences including; news releases, interviews, social media outlets, articles and stories.
- Supervise four members of the communications staff and assure all efforts are coordinated and contribute to the short and long term goals of the college.
- Manage budget for Communication division.
- Develop working relationships with faculty and staff to identify and disseminate their academic research and other activities to help build institutional awareness and reputation.
- Work with other advancement staff to fulfill publication and communication needs for advancement programs.
- Provide consultation and support to the president, vice presidents, and the college community on public information matters.
- Work with the vice president of enrollment management to maintain and oversee the college visual identity guide and editorial standards, including logo and brand identity usage.
- Work with the vice president of enrollment management on marketing and advertising plans and implementation.
- Serve as a liaison with President’s Office for commencement activities and other signature college events.
- Assistant Director of Communications
- Director of Publications
- Director of Integrated Media Relations
- Communications and Publications Specialist
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communication, journalism or related field.
- At least five years of experience in communication/public relations related fields, previous experience in higher education preferred.
- Strong writing background with demonstrated ability to develop high quality, interesting story ideas and meet deadlines.
- Thorough understanding of print, broadcast and social media and knowledge and experience in how it functions.
- Experience and understanding in utilizing websites and other electronic mediums for marketing/communications purposes.
- Strong skills as a project manager and team player who can collaborate well with peers and senior management.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact.
- Photography experience is preferred.
- Prior managerial experience.
- Ability to work a non-traditional work schedule that includes evening and weekend events.
Review of applications will begin immediately and close on May 31, 2016. To apply, please complete the online application process at http://linfieldjobs.iapplicants.com/searchjobs.php and attach the following documents:
• Cover Letter
We Value Diversity: Linfield College is actively engaged in promoting, advancing, and confirming our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a diverse and vibrant Linfield contributes to academic excellence and critical thinking. We welcome applicants who bring a diversity of identity, culture, experience, perspective, and thought. All candidates are encouraged to address how their professional and lived experience, scholarship, teaching, mentorship, and/or service will build on our diversity and inclusion efforts.