J O B T I T L E: Communications Director
REPORTS TO (title): Chief Executive Officer
DEPARTMENT NAME: Marketing & Communications
RATE OF PAY DOE EXEMPT/NONEXEMPT: Exempt
AVERAGE HRS./WEEK: Full Time (37.5)
LOCATION: Salem, OR
Are you a high achieving Communications Director with deep experience in the real estate industry or another professional trade association? Do you geek out over new communications tools? Do you thrive in a self-led environment where you can concept and grow a program that you then implement and refine as needed? Would you like to help drive engagement and build upon an established program with your expertise in new media, video, and technology while still being grounded in the fundamentals of a solid communications skill set? We are looking for the right candidate to join our Senior Staff team and help lead the organization in fulfilling our mission.
The Oregon Association of REALTORS® (OAR) is a 14,500+ member trade association representing 26 local associations from across the state. Our purpose is to help members to manage change by protecting their transactions, their livelihoods, and their market. In doing so, we advocate for free enterprise and private property rights on behalf of our members and their clients. Learn more at www.oregonrealtors.org.
I. POSITION SUMMARY:
Create and implement a comprehensive strategic marketing and communications plan to further OAR’s mission and strategic plan and to increase awareness of its programs and policy work. Work collaboratively to convey OAR’s value proposition by guiding and executing communications and marketing strategies. Lead efforts to provide ongoing information to OAR members and the public on key emerging issues facing the real estate industry. Manage OAR’s varied and integrated communications channels including web, email, social media, public and media relations, and marketing collateral.
II. ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate annual strategic marketing and communications plan
- Generate content for and maintain website
- Create email communications (monthly e-News, Quorum Call, education marketing, etc.)
- Continuously measure the effectiveness of all communications activities
- Drive social media engagement (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) through comprehensive digital and social media strategies
- Produce high volume video messaging o Story board, script, shoot, edit, and process audio and video footage for online distribution
- Research and write content for web, email communications, and print (as needed)
- Develop and implement marketing and communications plans for all OAR courses, events, programs, and initiatives o Education classes/webinars, HOME Foundation golf tournament, Taste of Portland, Convention, Legal Hotline, RPAC
- Write creative briefs for graphic design needs and work collaboratively with freelance contractors
- Implement sponsor marketing agreements on web and in email communications
- Oversee OAR brand standards ensuring all communications follow OAR brand and style guidelines
- Write monthly OAR talking points for elected volunteer leaders and staff
- Prepare President’s state reports and idea exchange contributions for Region 12, Mid-Year & NAR Convention meetings
- Prepare materials for association governance including presentations to Executive Committee and Board of Directors
- Prepare other reports and presentations for CEO, Senior Staff, and member leadership as needed
- Quarterly communications metrics report
- Complete annual core standards certification for all areas related to communications
- Train spokespeople
- Direct the OAR media relations program
- Research, prepare, and distribute press releases to promote statewide market conditions and notable achievements (REALTOR® awards, appointments, HOME Foundation grants, etc.)
- Prioritize media opportunities and pitch stories, write opinions, etc.
- Prepare talking points for interviews
- Cultivate and maintain proactive relationships with key media representatives across the state
- Develop crisis communication plans and messaging
- Field questions and coordinate responses and sources for interviews and background
- Conduct member surveys to analyze communications needs and adjust strategies accordingly
- Monitor real estate related news via print, web, and social media sources
Budgeting & Planning
- Serve as staff liaison in development of annual strategic plan
- Develop and manage communications budget according to annual strategic and business plans
- Supervise and lead Education & Communications Manager and Education & Communications Coordinator
- Manage IT consultant for tech needs
- Collaborate with other members of Senior Staff team
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with local Association Executives as liaison for communications and public relations
- Attend all Executive Committee meetings to report on communications
- Attend meetings for personal professional development (e.g. – Association Executives Institute, Communications Directors Retreat, Mid-Year, NAR Convention, Region 12, local industry events)
III. MANDATORY QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or related field
- Five+ years’ experience in a similar role
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Multimedia experience (photography and video production)
- Significant communications experience that includes a blend of advocacy and media relations.
- The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
- A strong track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes in a competitive communications environment.
- Ability to coach and support senior leaders as spokespersons.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence.”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, and other stakeholders.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Experience working with website content management systems (Drupal), email marketing software (Convio), video production software, Photoshop, and Microsoft Office Suite.
IV. DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – These qualifications are not absolutely required, but will enhance the applicant’s chance for selection:
- Master’s degree in communications, business administration, or other applicable area
- Professional designations (CAE, RCE, APR)
- Trade association, specifically REALTOR® association, experience
- Knowledge of the real estate industry
V. APPLICATION GUIDELINES
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Association also offers an excellent package of employee benefits. For questions about this position, call 800-252-9115 and ask to speak with Jennifer Hauge (Director of Communications & Professional Development) or John Wallace (CEO).
The search will remain open until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt with a target hire timeframe of June.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter along with three professional references. Electronic submissions are preferred and should be sent via email to Jennifer Hauge at firstname.lastname@example.org as one single PDF or Word document. Please include ‘Communications Director Search’ in the subject line.