Banfield Pet Hospital
Job Title: Manager, Internal Communications
Team: Corporate Affairs
Function, Family: Corporate Affairs, Corporate & Brand Communications
Reports To: Director, Internal Communications
Cost CTR#: 7002
SL + Level: T2
AVP Target: 12%
FLSA Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The primary purpose and function of the Manager, Internal Communications is to drive Banfield’s culture and business forward through ensuring all associates have the right information at the right time. This position will ensure the implementation and successful adoption of a communication strategy within Banfield.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Support the development of strategy and implementation plans for the effective creation, management, maintenance, use and monitoring of Banfield communication and collaboration platforms to ensure they meet the needs of Banfield associates and build community engagement.
- Monitor trends and community activity to inform plans for content creation.
- Lead National Field Leadership (NFL) event, Banfield’s annual leadership event for over 700 associates
- Develop NFL strategy in partnership with Director, create content, manage logistics and coordinate multiple activities.
- Manage and inspire direct reports and team.
- Partner with the team’s Director to reshape internal communications at Banfield, including protocols, cascade process, developing infrastructure and creating new communication methods.
- Create, write, and edit compelling content that inspires, educates and connects audiences.
- Act as a trusted coach and advisor to senior leaders and project leaders to influence and enhance communications strategies.
- Develop and cascade clear, concise messages for key Banfield events and campaigns to facilitate understanding and delivery of business goals.
- Actively develop personal communication skills, knowledge and best practices.
- Advocate and reinforce the use of gold standards in communications.
- Other job duties as assigned.
THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
- Quality – The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and value for money is our goal.
- Responsibility – As individuals, we demand total responsibility from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of others.
- Mutuality – A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared benefit will endure.
- Efficiency – We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do only what we can do best.
- Freedom – We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit to remain free.
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Problem Solving
- Drive for Results
- Managing and Measuring Work
- Communication and Presentation Skills
- Leadership and Business Communication
- Organizational Change Communication
CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Ability to multi-task – Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of frustration.
- Communication skills – Reads, writes and speaks fluent English, using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to write quickly; distilling complex concepts into key messages required.
- Organizational ability – Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Problem solving skills – Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems. Unusually decisive in handling difficult problems. Translates problems into practical solutions.
- Client service skills – Consistently ensures the team provides the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service.
- Intellectual ability – Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can provide directions.
- Mathematical ability – Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement.
- Computer skills – Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.
- Management skills – Ability to manage associates effectively, setting goals and direction, and holding individuals accountable to meet job expectations. Ability to successfully supervise, coach and mentor others. Displays positive attitude toward all Practice protocols, procedures, and systems.
ATTITUDES (WILL DO)
- Initiative – Shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity – Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Cooperativeness – Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant information with others.
- Flexibility – Is open to changing situations and opportunities and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence – Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without supervision.
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency – Maintains a positive “can do” outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume / deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism or Communications required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience in communications, employee engagement, public relations or marketing required.
- Solid understanding of internal communication and engagement techniques and best practices required.
- Must have skills in coaching and influencing senior leaders, key stakeholders and peers.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and attention to detail required.
- Experience with change management communications and managing significant organizational change initiatives preferred.
- Prefer health care background (veterinary or human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.).
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Company Policy, Federal and State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin.