The Oregon Forest Industries Council (OFIC) is a trade association representing more than 50 Oregon forestland owners and forest products manufacturing-related firms. OFIC coordinates advocacy on behalf of its members to promote the stewardship, sustainability, productivity, and environmental values on all of Oregon’s forestlands.
OFIC is seeking a full-time Director of Public Affairs to build and manage a robust digital, media relations, public relations, and grassroots communications operation.
- Identify, build, and manage relationships with key Oregon environmental and political reporters
- Identify, build, and manage relationships with key Oregon editorial boards
- Serve as OFIC primary On the Record spokesperson
- Draft opinion content or editorial placement as OFIC or for third-party allies
- Generate print and broadcast media coverage through packaging and pitching positive industry stories
- Identify, educate, and deploy third-party advocates on behalf of industry objectives
- Identify, educate, and deploy industry workers who are willing to engage in advocacy or media relations on behalf of legislative or regulatory objectives
- Attend and manage public hearings in legislative and/or regulatory bodies, coordinating third-party advocacy testimony and media relations
- Daily management of new website to promote industry priorities, including legislative or regulatory activity, new scientific and economic research, upcoming events, and rapid response documents
- Build and manage active social media platforms
- Build and manage email database to be used for periodic updates on legislative activity and other industry communications priorities. Draft copy for periodic updates and distribute to database
- Build and manage relationships with third-party allies in Oregon to coordinate advocacy and communications, amplifying messaging where appropriate
- Build and manage strategic partnerships that can expand the reach of the forestry sector beyond its traditional base among natural resource allies and rural communities
- Build and manage relationships with member company communications professionals
- Build and manage relationships with national and other state forestry organizations to share best practices and amplify supportive research or other documents
- Draft copy and manage creative for updated collateral material designed for policymakers or other public audiences
- Positive attitude and ability to problem solve
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in public affairs and/or corporate or government public relations
- Excellent and diverse writing abilities – including AP Stylebook, executive, and creative
- On the Record spokesperson experience
- Familiarity with the strategic and tactical use of digital and social platforms
- A demonstrated ability to work well within a small, high-performing team environment and be accountable to colleagues, member companies, and external audiences
- Must have a passion for natural resource issues and a willingness to fight for the interests of our members
OFIC is an equal opportunity employer. Salary for this position is DOE. Benefits include family medical, vision and dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, retirement plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
Please email a resume and a cover letter that includes salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘Director of Public Affairs’ in the subject line. Applicants may submit questions regarding this position to the email above. No phone calls please.